For most pilots, the Instrument Rating is the next step after getting their Private Pilot’s Certificate. An Instrument Rating expands the reach of your pilot’s certificate by enabling you to safely fly in less than "fair" weather, i.e. reduced visibility and low ceilings that keep other pilots on the ground.
Your instrument training will begin by teaching you to control the aircraft solely by reference to the flight instruments. As you gain experience and proficiency flying solely by reference to the flight instruments you will then begin to fly by use of numerous navigational aids such as airways and gps systems. The final stages of your training will teach you to perform precision approaches in instrument conditions. it is considered to be one of the most challenging and rewarding ratings in aviation.
- Hold at least a private pilot certificate
- Read, speak, write and understand english
- Be a US citizen
- If not a US citizen, have TSA clearance
- 50 hours of cross-country flight of which 10 must be in airplanes
- 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time 15 of of which must be from an authorized flight instructor
- One IFR cross-country flight consisting of a total distance of at least 250 NM and involves an instrument approach at each airport and at least three different kinds of instrument approaches at each airport.
- 3 hours flight training in preparation of the practical test
- Pass the required airman knowledge exam
Download Price List
Pricing: The packaged course prices contain the FAA/TCO minimum required flight and ground training. Any additional training will be billed at the normal hourly rate as stated in the JFS enrollment agreement. Course duration depends on many factors to include: study habits, aptitude, weather, etc. JFS reserves the right to alter the prices listed on this rate sheet under the following circumstances but not limited to, variations in fuel prices, airport landing charges if applicable, FAA exam fees, repeating tests or exams and requests for additional tuition and classroom time.